This blog is the record of the Roy W. Howard National Collegiate Reporting Competition media tour through South Korea and Japan. The nine winners of the award, college journalists from across the country, will be updating this blog from the trip with written reports and photographs as they travel through Seoul, Osaka, Kobe and Tokyo. Stay tuned for up-to-the-minute news and reporting.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
End of a (2 Week) Era
We're all huddled in a Hampton Inn double right now, relishing our last hours tonight before we all leave for our respective schools in the morning. Tonight during the awards dinner we met Pam Howard, Roy Howard's granddaughter and inspirational figure in her own right, as well as Mike Philipps, the president of Scripps Howard. Some parents and family who could make it out were also in attendance.
After we went around and discussed our favorite moments, I got teary and had to leave the room. This trip has been so major and life-changing but it's actually the little things that are hard to leave behind... It's the people. Those in this room right here and those I left back in Asia.
We're shooting for a reunion in Mexico.
- September (4)
- The Return of Milky Boy!
- Arrival: Chicago
- End of a (2 Week) Era
- 1950's Geisha Is 2008's Prostitute
- Tokyo Arrival
- Rock Garden at Ryoanji
- Korea Is the Future Is Now
- Did We Mention This Trip Is Free?
- The Beginnings of an Adventure
- The fate of the world depends on CALORIE MATE!! ...
- Quake Hits Japan
- Chicago Arrivals
- South Korean soaps?
- Japan Airlines
- Hudson Is My First Roommate
- Luggage Nirvana
- Trip Prep
- Shaken Leader of South Korea Promises New Beginnin...
- "Standing Up for Workers’ Rights in Japan"
- Media Frenzy Over Suspect In Vehicle
- Entire Cabinet Offers to Resign
- 21,000 Police and Countless More Protesters Take T...